Friday, November 18, 2005

The Old Stomping Grounds

Although I am already in Amsterdam, there were just so many things happening over the last 24 hours that I feel it is necessary to share them.

It's interesting what God has done with our time so far. We left a little late Wednesday night for DC, where we stayed with some close friends. It was a bit surreal for me. I have travelled the road from Morgantown to DC so many times in the last ten years, but this time was really different.

I usually stop and reflect as I pass Friendsville, MD--for many years I spent great amounts of my spare time in this little town. My tribe has land there, and this is the home of my tribe's sacred ceremonial grounds. This is the first time I have been by that piece of land since 2004, and long before I resigned from my chieftainship. I didn't realize how it would affect me, but mainly I was nostalgic. If it weren't for what God has done in my life through my tribal community, I might not be where I am in my walk with Jesus right now.

So, this trip was a new beginning for me. This was the first time I went through this journey to DC without looking to make a concerted effort to connect with my own tribal community. My tribe has helped prepare me, and indirectly, our team, for work in Amsterdam.

We were concerned about the weather when we left, but we had clear skies all the way through our journey to DC, and we have had beautiful weather thus far in Amsterdam.

More news soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Billy!

I'm glad to hear you all made it safely over there.

We'll be praying for you, individually all the time and corporately this Sunday.

Ryan and Nic and I had a "pow-wow" in your room yesterday to talk about Sunday. It was cool 'cause it was kind of like we had your empowerment to do what we need to do in your absence.

I'll keep reading your blogs!

--Cameron

Anonymous said...

Hey Billy!

I'm glad to hear you all made it safely over there.

We'll be praying for you, individually all the time and corporately this Sunday.

Ryan and Nic and I had a "pow-wow" in your room yesterday to talk about Sunday. It was cool 'cause it was kind of like we had your empowerment to do what we need to do in your absence.

I'll keep reading your blogs!

--Cameron

Anonymous said...

Billy

I'm glad to hear that you guys got there safely. I am SOO excited to see what God is going to do through your team.

We will be praying for you here at the office!!

~~~ Jenni ~~~

nic said...

Hey bro,
glad all started out well hopefully not butts this time. I will be praying you dont forget my cookies. LOL. DId you see potter yet tell her i say hello. I will be seriously praying for you all. Much love bro

Anonymous said...

Billy,

I wish I was going with you and your team. My heart reflects on Amsterdam with mixed emotions, so much beauty and history in that city, yet so many people miserable and grasping for empty escape routes. I am praying that you and your team really show people the lives they are meant to live, and that some of the people you impact would get involved and become sold out for Jesus in the church over there!

Love,
John...AKA Gideon

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I always wondered about Friendsville...that's neat that you have memories there.

take care in Amsterdam, say hi to Greta too.

I wish that I could be there. That ministry has a lot to do!
-Meghan

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments. I am also thankful for your prayers.

Hope you all have a wonderful day, and I will give the team your regards.

Don't worry Nic--I'll get your cookies.

Blessings to all!