Thursday, September 28, 2006

Running and Focus


Well, since that Clarksburg 10K back in june, I have really been focussing on getting myself in shape. So far, I have made it out almost every week since then at least twice a week. I am starting to feel the difference. I am starting to feel accustomed to exercise. I am recovering quickly. I am still slow as molasses, but that's ok. I don't have my sights set on the olympics.

This morning after I came back, I saw this picture on my desk. It is Steve Prefontaine running a race. "Pre" was a running legend in the late sixties and early seventies, and a few years ago, I saw a movie about him. One of the things that I liked about him was his focus and his drive. That quote in the photo haunts me when I think about running a race. It also creeps into other areas of my life as well.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

As I ran this morning with my friend Mark, I felt like it was a time of focus, and encouragement for both of us. We get together every couple of weeks. We hang out. We share what's happening in our lives, and we dream.

As we ran this morning, I just felt so focused. In my opinion, life and running have a lot of similarities. You have good days and bad days. Slow days and fast days. Hot days and cold days. But through all of those days, one thing remains to keep you going, and that is focus. We are stimulated with all kinds of stuff on a daily basis that attempts to disrupt our focus. It is hard to remain undestracted. Running has helped me keep focused. Prayer and scripture also serve to help me focus. Without prayer and scripture, I think I would easily be distracted by all of the circumstances swirling around me.

When you are running through life, what helps you maintain your focus?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nick wanted you to know that he liked the Prefontaine picture and quote. He plans to add it to his philosophical musings on one of his school folders.