Friday, September 15, 2006

Grasping tightly



Hands In Sand, originally uploaded by johnass.
Nobody can hold a fistful of sand, but we try and try to hold onto things. I just read a quote from Martin Luther on my friend Noel's blog. The quote has been haunting me for the last couple of days.

"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

And there is the challenge. I think we like having stuff in our hands. We feel like we are "with it" or "in control." It is an illusion, but it feels real, and maybe that's why we tend to gravitate toward it.

It is one of the greatest ironies, I think. You see, we know that everything in our life really belongs to God, and that He will care for every aspect of our life better than we ever could ourselves, and yet, we find ourselves trying to hold onto things.

Why is that?

In the end, when we hold onto things, they slip right through our fingers like the sand in this picture.

And in the end, when we give things to God, things are much better than we often think they will be.

Maybe I am alone in this, but in spite of knowing that everything I am, I have, and I do is much better in God's hands, I still want to hold on sometimes.

Maybe I need to remember to take his yoke upon me, and lay down everything I am working so hard to carry.

Maybe we all need a reminder like that sometimes.

Is there something you are trying to carry that is slipping through your hands, or otherwise falling apart? Obviously you aren't adequately equipped to carry it. Try handing it over to God, just for one day, and see what happens.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hi there.
I found your blog through Eric Asp's. Have to comment 'cause this is exactly where I'm at w/some very specific things in my life. I've been trying to hold on and control things, and I've been miserable! Isn't it funny how that works.? We try and hold on 'cause we think we'll feel better if we have control. But in trying to have control, we end up feeling stifled and burdened instead of feeling free.
So true. So true.
excellent post.