Saturday, December 30, 2006

Death of Saddam


Ok, this is big news, and the photo appeared on the washington post dot com website. Here is their article.

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this event. I'm sitting at a hotel right now, and I've seen footage of his last moments about 8 times in the last hour. (Actually, make that 9 times. While I was typing this it was shown again.) How many times do we need to see something like this? How often does it need to be recapitulated in our news. I realize that by putting this in a blog, I am probably doing the same thing.

What do you make of the way we report news? How do you feel about the death of Saddam? I'm really not sure what to make of the event myself. It's hard to know how to feel when someone dies you have only seen on television. How do I feel about the death of James Brown, or the death of Gerald Ford. I guess overall, I'm a little sad, because we were made eternal beings in the image of God, and when someone dies, I wonder--will they spend the rest of their eternal lives in the presence of the Creator of the universe, or will they be eternally separated.

And what about us? While we still have breath, are we contemplating the type of people we are becoming, and preparing for the kind of life that is eternally in the presence of God, or outside the presence of God?

I'm not articulating these thoughts well. It is difficult to process exactly what I am thinking right now. (especially now that the video has been shown a 10th time while I am still writing). I think I am going to prepare for a drive back from Terra Haute to Parkersburg.

No comments: