Thursday, May 29, 2008

Carolina Shores



Carolina Shores, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Although I was extremely exhausted after a long day of gardening and a longer drive into the wee hours of the night, I began the GCM Leadership Training program with a group of others from Ball State University, Virginia Tech, and WVU early Sunday morning at a park near Carolina Beach, NC. That's where I took this sweet photo of the grass and sand along the intracoastal waterway down here.

People were catching some fish while I was there. Among the types caught were perch and sheepshead. Kind of made me regret not having a rod to join in the action.

But that's not why I was walking along this waterway. Nor was it to snap photos. I was asked to ponder a passage from Luke 18 about a blind beggar. I don't know if you've ever read it, but I know I've never meditated upon it like I did Sunday morning.

The synopsis goes something like this. A crowd was following Jesus (as per usual), and a blind beggar asks folks what's going on. They tell him that Jesus is in the area. So then this guy starts crying out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" People try to shut him up, but he just keeps getting louder. Then Jesus cuts through the crowd and walks up to him and says, "what do you want me to do for you?"
You should read the rest and find out what happens at the end of Luke 18.

After hearing the story, we were encouraged to ask the same question. What do I want Jesus to do for me this summer? What is it that I really want God to do in my life? What do I want Jesus to do while I'm away in Carolina Beach? While you may not be able to join us on the Atlantic coast, you can ask yourself the same question.

What is it that you really want God to do in your life? What is it that you are desperate for Jesus to do in your life? May you zealously seek him this summer, and may you be radically transformed as a result of your seeking.

No comments: