Thursday, October 25, 2007

Perspective



Perspective, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Early this morning I read this scripture, and it has just really stirred me today.

Only fear the LORD and serve Him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things He has done for you. 1 Samuel 12:24

You know, it’s really easy to get distracted. It’s really easy to get caught up in the wrong things, or even to let your circumstances dictate much of your life. It doesn’t have to be major events either. I think it is in the little day to day events that we get tested. We learn how to have selective memory.

The other day, I was fishing with my dad, and I drove my car into a ditch. Needless to say I was less than ecstatic over the recent turn of events. My dad was visibly upset too. He had a look as though all was lost. A few seconds later, I was able to drive my car right out of the ditch. It was all pretty amazing really.

You see, my dad and I had a phenomenal day. I caught a beautiful brood trout. We fished in a mountain lake. The fall colors were peaking and we were able to take some great photos. And the smells, there’s something amazing about those leaves on the ground, and the last harvests of autumn all swirling together in the cool October air.

And the conversations. We had great conversations about God and family, about remembering mom, even some dreamy conversations about potential future vacation together, and all of the trips we have taken together in the past. We were completely relaxed all day (a rarity for me), and we were immensely blessed with amazing weather, and plenty of time to enjoy walking talking, fishing, and exploring a small area of West Virginia’s beauty.

Sometimes we get caught up in the little ditches in life we get ourselves into. We begin to let those ditches define our lives. We end up getting into a panic during which we will do just about anything to get ourselves out of the ditch. We forget about all of the great things that happen along the journey.

You know it would have been really easy for my dad and I to both get so centered on the
I don’t know where you are spiritually as you read this blog. You may be bitter. You may be on the mountaintop. You may be just about to justify some secret, hidden sin.

Whatever it is you are going through, I want to encourage you today to take a moment and consider all of the GREAT things the Lord has done. I think that as we learn to look at life in general with a greater sense of gratitude, we are better able to take the tough moments in stride. May you find greater faithfulness and joy flowing from your heart as you reflect on His steadfast love and goodness in your life.

No comments: