Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Trout Fishing



Trout Fishing, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Yesterday, I decided to call up my dad and see if he wanted to go to Spruce Knob Lake and fish. I have been trying to juggle some things around to get a day to hang out with my dad, and things just worked out. Also, I knew he really wanted to see the fall color before it was gone. For several years, he and my mom would travel the state in autumn to enjoy the changing colors and the scenery of the place we call Wild and Wonderful and Almost Heaven. It was really cool to be able to venture out together.

For me, it was cool because Dad and I were able to spend some quality time together with no hurries and no worries. Seems like more and more I have a hard time making a clean break from my vocation and my "normal life". Seems a bit strange probably, but for as much as many would applaud my efforts to create a space of separation for relaxation, there are those voices in my head(maybe they came from other people at some point)--those voices that lay a huge burden of guilt at times for trying to pull away.

Well, regardless of all of that, I had a wonderful and relaxing time with my dad yesterday. And I caught a monster brood trout too. We met in Bridgeport, and drove together into the fall color. Yesterday marked the first time I have been able to fish with any seriousness since my friends Steve and Liz flew me to Minnesota and took me to Canada because they wanted to insure I took a break and relaxed once in a while.

It's so ironic to me that back when I started working at Mylan I bought my lifetime hunting and fishing license, and it was around then that I found myself with little time to hunt or fish.

Do you ever feel like that--like the gaps or the margins keep getting smaller? I think we have to really fight for those margins.

And in the end, if we fight for the margins, we might be able to enjoy the fall colors with family, or even better, we might land a huge trout on the bank of an Appalachian lake with enough witnesses for photographs.

No comments: