Monday, June 13, 2005

Cocoa Beach Connections



Cocoa Beach Connections, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Cocoa Beach, home of Ron Jon's Surf Shop, is only 45 minutes away from my apartment on the UCF campus this summer. As a result, trips to the beach have been a frequent source of refreshment during my sabbath each week. This is the location where I learned to surf, and have been keeping up with the new passion. Friday, I went, thinking that the swells from Arlene would make for some sweet surfing. it was pretty choppy though, and hard to sustain a ride. Actually--it was pretty difficult to get out to the place where the waves were breaking. I need to work on my paddling a bit.

While I was there, I met a couple of really cool guys. Cyrus and Matt Vepa were on vacation from Alabama when I met them, and Cyrus had asked if I might give his son some surfing pointers. So Matt and I started paddling out into some sweet waves. During the course of our conversations in the water and on the beach, we realized that we were all followers of Jesus. What ensued after this realization was some great conversation and fellowship. It is so cool how close we are all brought together by being part of God's family. They offered me a place to stay if I wanted, and even let me use their shower to get the salt water off me. I just think they were a huge testimony of what we should be like with regard to hospitality, care, and compassion. We were able to share a meal, and spent some time in prayer together to end our evening.


We are hoping to stay in touch, and I consider it a privilege to be encouraged and exhorted by those who are a part of my family in Jesus.

Is God calling you to reach out with hospitality and trust to somebody in your community?

No comments: