Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Snapping Turtle



Snapping Turtle, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Last Friday afternoon, I was sitting at my house talking to my good friend Trey when I saw what I thought was a turtle crossing the road behind my house. I started to cringe at the sight of the little fella because I know how people drive in my neighborhood. I didn't think he stood a chance--especially when he stopped 1/3 of the way across the road. When I saw that, it made me want to run down to help him out. I took my eyes off him for a few seconds and ran down to the road, but he was gone (and thankfully there were no cars).

He had crossed the road. Not only that, but he was also making his way up the hill behind my house. I have trouble stepping up that hill and keeping my balance, so needless to say I was impressed. He then proceeded to walk across my driveway, with frequent stops to check out what was going on around him. Sometimes he would stop and look at me too. He made his way across the driveway and under my roommates car, and then continued until he found respite next to my house in some high grass.

I think this little guy was a gift from God. I had been through a pretty long mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually exhausting day, and this turtle shows up on my driveway. Instead of rushing to the next thing, I slowed down and enjoyed my visitor. I even touched his back and petted him a little bit.

You know, I believe all of our lives have these little treasures pass through them. Unfortunately we get sooooo caught up that we speed by them and miss out on the little gifts. Have you ever taken time to watch a turtle walk up an 8 foot hill, and proceed 25 feet across a driveway? Have you ever just sat and watched a creature go through it's normal routine as you maintain a role of quiet observer.

Most of us did this a lot when we were children, but something happens as we get older, and we forget to look. We forget to see the world through these eyes of wonder.

Today, may your life be intersected by a simple gift from the Creator of the universe that will enable you to recapture the wonder.

No comments: