Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Happy Birthday To My Dad!!!



Ok, so the picture is a couple of years old, but it is still my dad. Yesterday was my dad's 68th birthday, and because I'm a knucklehead, I didn't take any pictures of him while we were together.

But, it was still his birthday, and he has still walked this planet for 68 years. And when I say walked, I mean it. Until about a month ago, my dad walked twelve miles a day. But, he had a heart attack about 5 weeks ago, and has been on the road to recovery since then.

Right now, he is walking a mile at between 20 and 22 minutes. I know a lot of people my age who would have trouble walking at that pace. Yesterday, he walked three miles during the course of the day. Of course these distances were broken up a bit, but he's still walking, and he's getting out and about.

Among other things on my dad's birthday, I was able to cut a bunch of limbs out of one of the trees he has in front of his house--it was a lot, so I hope it gets taken by the refuse truck.

I haven't been able to see my dad as often, so each time I see him, it is readily evident that he has made huge strides in mobility and strength. I can't believe that just five weeks ago my dad had his chest ripped open (twice) and veins removed from his leg to bypass his old arteries in four places!

It was great spending time with my dad, and getting some exercise in with him as well. Since it was his birthday, we allowed for a little cheating on his heart healthy diet (he's officially starting this thursday, but we've been slowly making adjustments), and we had a little Dairy Queen dipped cone action. It was a delicious way to wrap up the day, and I look forward to seeing how much further along he is the next time I see him.

No comments: