Friday, October 10, 2008

Crazy Love




Recently, I had the extreme joy of being able to read a book by a person who is quickly becoming one of my favorite pastors, Francis Chan. The reason I enjoy Francis is that from what I read, hear and see, there is a genuine of that He has for God and for people.

As I grow more and more certain of the temporary nature of this life, I'm confronted with one simple truth that is echoed throughout scripture. Life comes from knowing God. What matters most in our life is that we are loved by God. A close second to this important truth is that the only normal response to the kind of love that God has for us, the only logical way to think about the fact that the Creator of the universe has a crazy love for us is to love Him back.

Over the last couple of months, I have been growing to love God more and more. Sure, I still do stupid things that displease Him, but I genuinely want to love God with all of my heart, my mind, my soul, and my strength. It's kind of funny, because many of you who are reading this recognize that as the first and greatest commandment. And yet, if we are honest, very little of our life is characterized by that kind of radical love. I mean, picture your love for your spouse, or your closest friends. Picture what it would look like to love anyone or any thing with all of your heart, mind, soul, and strength. That's the kind of crazy love God has for us.

I don't know about you, but when I think about God's great love for me, and I think about how easy it is to be complacent, I get a little scared. I get a little uneasy, because I realize I'm not capable of that kind of love. The only way I can love God with everything I have is if He gives me the capacity. And He is willing if we ask, if we abide, if we cry out.

You may be reading this blog and thinking this is crazy. What's crazy is that the God of the universe loves us with an abounding love, and our response is typicallly (in the words of Francis Chan) to "go to church, sing songs, and try not to cuss."

Something seems amiss--doesn't it? I want to recommend Francis' Book, Crazy Love if this blog has stirred you a bit.

More than recommending a book though, I want to encourage you to respond to the great love that God has for you. Take a moment right now and just reflect on how deep God's love is for you--wherever you are and stop reading--this blog will be here when you get back. I'm serious. Right now. STOP.

Did you stop? If so you can keep reading. If not, go back to the previous paragraph!

Isn't it amazing to think that God loves YOU that much!!! Isn't it amazing to think that He even gives you the ability to love Him. As we grow in our love for God, our love for others will grow, and we'll find less and less pleasure in things.

Like I said, at the beginning of this entry. Life is very short here on this earth. Let us learn to love well!

No comments: