Monday, September 15, 2008

Biking/Walking Day at WVU



Dad at the Summit, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
So that photo was taken of my dad after he made it to the summit of Bickle Knob. He and I pedaled our bikes, and walked, and pedaled some more, and walked, and pedaled some more until we reached the summit on the last day of August. From what I can tell on maps, we climbed about 3400 feet in about 4 miles of biking.

My dad is a stud!!! I can't get over the fact that he climbed a 4000 foot hill in WV. My dad constantly impresses me. I don't know if he believes it, but he is in incredible shape for his age. He's actually in better shape than many of my friends. He disciplines himself to be out walking and riding every day, and it makes a world of difference.

As I woke up this morning, I heard that today is bicycling and walking day at wvu. The university is attempting a week long focus in alternative modes of transportation. It's kind of fun to see a few more people walking or out on their bikes today. But, just like in my dad's life, it takes discipline to begin a habit like this.

Morgantown is all hills. It is tiring at times to walk or ride up and down them, but most people I know can do it--they just choose not to do it it.

If you are in Morgantown, I want to challenge you to try alternative modes of transportation this week if you can. If you are working and living in town. Even if you aren't, try to look into a carpool or a vanpool. You might make a friend or two, and you will all be saving money and energy.

If you aren't in Morgantown, this note still applies to you. I have a few friends who live in Amsterdam. They bike everywhere. Old people or young people, it doesn't matter. They get groceries on their bikes. They go to church and work on their bikes. Or, they walk.

Think about it this way. If you walk or ride a bike, you will:

1) Save money
2) Feel better
3) Be a better environmental steward
4) Reduce wear and tear or your vehicle
5) Experience more of the world around you
6) Get some much needed exercise
7) Have a healthier lifestyle
8) Acquire a clearer head for reflection, worship, and relaxation

So get out there today, and ride and walk. Just don't drive if you can keep from it. And leave a comment to let me and others know how the change affects you!

No comments: