Friday, June 20, 2008

Stealing from Dead People



I just drove across Pennsylvania, WV, and Ohio in order to visit my best friend in the whole world, and his family. While we were hanging out, he told me that a couple of weeks ago his uncle died. He had told me about it before, but he told me some details about his uncle's story he hadn't shared before.

His uncle, a man of deep moral convictions was killed while riding his motorcycle to work earlier this month. That in itself is a tragedy, and one that deeply grieved my friend and his whole family. But there is more.

There were some strange charges on this man's credit card, and they were made after he had died. It appears that an employee in the coroner's office ended up with this man's credit card and made a few charges to it. He stole my friend's uncle's credit card, and used it--to visit strip clubs. If you are interested in reading more about it, here is an article that tells more details about the story.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to find out that your recently deceased loved one's memory was being desecrated by an unscrupulous person stealing money from him or her. I can't even imagine that as the family was trying to make funeral arrangements and mourn their loss that someone else would take advantage of the situation to fund a night of decadence in a strip club. I can't believe how much evil is present in the world today.

But at the same time, I am excited that there is also justice in our world. There is something deep inside everyone of us that becomes sick at the thought of injustice, and at the same time we rejoice when justice is served. You see, this man was caught. We are people of amazing potential. We are people who have the potential, to steal, to kill, to lie, and to destroy. We are also people who have the potential to love, to heal, to protect, and to serve. We can either maintain shalom or pollute shalom in the world.

May we be mindful of the God of justice who defends the poor and the broken hearted. May we take solace in the truth that He cares more deeply for our hurts and the pains that seem to saturate this world. And may we be mindful that the people of the cross are to be a people who seek justice where there is injustice, freedom for the oppressed, and hope for the hopeless.

I am often shocked into a stupor by evil that I see, but at the same time, I'm reminded that there will come a day when every tear will be wiped away, and all of the world will be put to rights. Lord, haste the day, when my faith will be sight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My gosh- this is HORRIBLE