Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Surfing



Surfing, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Well, I finally made it into WV late last night. I stayed the night at my good friend Sam Fisher's after a very productive and also very fun day in Blacksburg, VA.

Reality is setting in for me though...no more surfing. This sport became one of the main ways I enjoyed Sabbath this summer.

It was also very informative too. The word surfing is used to describe a number of activities including perusing the web.

For me, the sport is exhilerating. I hope to be able to indulge in this rush whenever I am near the ocean.

Beyond this exhileration, I understand more about the water. Often we hear people talk about catching the next big wave. Until one has caught a wave, this metaphor isn't fully understood. There is a patience necessary to catch the wave. If you go to early, it doesn't break with you. If you go too late, the wave has broken before you can get in it. If you don't wait, you will settle for a mediocre wave, and the ride won't be nearly as enjoyable.

I wonder how many times in my life, I've been in too much of a hurry to catch the good waves. I hope as I grow in faith, I will more consistently catch the waves of the Spirit, and I will be able to more fully enjoy the ride.

Whether it be in the Atlantic, or the great oceans of faith--I know I love catching sweet waves!

For all who have never stood on a longboard as the wave carries you along the break to the shoreline--I hope you can understand.

Go catch some waves!

No comments: