Thursday, October 05, 2006

Lightning show



Lightning show, originally uploaded by copeg.
Unfortunately, this picture isn't mine. I couldn't get my camera set up in time for the light show we saw last night from my deck. Morgantown had a huge lightning and thunderstorm. It's been a while since I've felt the power of a storm like that. It was like medicine for my soul. If I didn't have a bunch of people over for a little faith community gathering, I think I could have sat outside in the storm until my clothing was completely saturated by the downpour, the display of power, and by the intense winds that seemed to direct the storm.

I've always been drawn to storms. The ones that give the awesome light displays, not the metaphorical ones that take place in our lives. I've never had a fear of the storms of nature. Ironically it is the metaphorical ones that can cause my faith to shake. Just like the disciples, I feel like I need Jesus to calm the storm, and just like the disciples, I often hear Him say "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

How do you weather the storms--the physical ones and the metaphorical ones? Do you take time out to enjoy the light display, and feel the power of it all? Do you keep in mind that there is a greater power at work within you to accomplish great purposes in the world?

That, is a beautiful thing indeed!

No comments: