Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Living in the Tension

It's been a while since I have written on this blog, but this week's talks have been interesting at LT. Maybe LT could stand for Living in Tension. Anyhoo, there seems to be a tension we live in between being yielded to God's grace, and living out big dreams for God. Without the proper perspective we can end up trampling the grace of God by wanton-ness. On the opposite end of the spectrum, we can get so works based that WE become the center of the universe, and not the God who gives us us grace. We end up believing it is up to us to live out big dreams and not up to God.

So...the important thing seems to be living in the tension. Motivated by grace, we walk in the works He has laid out for us, the purpose of our lives, the calling of God, to the end that we glorify God and enjoy Him forever. I'm reminded of a passage in Ephesians tonight.

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand, that we would walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you have a blog! I hope this summer is fruitful and refreshing. LT definitely = tension and trials. But looking back on it now I realize that it was the most life changing summer of my life so far. I can't wait to hear about all the awesome things that happen this summer. I am sad that I am not there this year but God has something for me right here, thankfully I am spared from the heat! Take care of my Spartans for me ;)

Anonymous said...

My name is Neal Vinson. I have just returned from living in New Zealand for the past 4yrs as a missionary to college students there. I saw on your blog that you had met a couple of friends of mine...cyrus and matt vepa. Do you have their current address and phone number. I have tried locating them in alabama but I believe they have since moved. Thanks for your help. God bless.

Unknown said...

Neil,

Unfortunately, I do not have current info for either Matt or Cyrus. I spoke to matt on AIM about a year ago, but I am not sure he still has the same screenname. Sorry I can not be more helpful. I will try again with the info I have, and see if I can't connect you guys. Blessings.