Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Getting Back Into The Groove


You know, sometimes people stop writing for lack of content or inspiration. For me, it has been a bit of the opposite. I feel like there has been so much going on in recent weeks that it makes it hard to determine where to start with writing. I look back on the experiences Jamie and I have walked through together over the last few months, and they have been unbelievable. We have seen many old friends and family members, mourned with some and rejoiced with others. We have journeyed through eight states and even made a short journey across our nation's northern border to Niagara Falls. We have engaged people to join our efforts to fight extreme poverty with Nuru, and begun our own training for running a marathon.

And I have been reading. Early in the morning and late at night. I find myself striving to learn more, grow more, and become the best version of myself I can be. I have been riding a bike, running, and even flirted with the idea of joining a gym so I could make my shape less 'round'. We visited old tribal friends, including my tribes oldest living member as we celebrated one of our younger members getting married. We have spent time in large cities and reclaimed strip mines.

It has been an incredible period. So much to write about, but I've found it hard to slow down to do the actual writing. But tonight, as tiredness began to set in, I decided that I the only way I'm going to get back into the groove is to just do it. It's just too easy to put off just about anything until tomorrow. Whether it is starting a diet, a fitness regimen, or writing a blog post, it is all easy to put off until the future.

But sometimes you've just gotta jump in and start doing things. There's no way I could sit down and write about all of my experiences and momentary reflections over the past few months in one sitting, but I can make a decision and write something. We can all start some new habit today and begin cultivating it. We can resume habits that we let go lax as well.

Is there a habit, a goal, or a discipline you have been putting off? Is it hard to find the time for it? While this may sound violent, I am of the opinion that there are times when we have to fight lethargy and inertia to begin to cultivate a habit. May we each make the time to persevere toward goals, and to take small steps toward resuming habits and cultivating new ones. The world needs people who are driven and who are pursuing good habits and goals. Let's go for it!

No comments: