Saturday, April 01, 2006

Bumper Stickers

Earlier this week I was doing some research for my English class when I came upon a web site that had a bumper sticker photographed and posted on it. The bumper sticker said, April 1, National Athiests Day. Underneath it was a scripture which stated, "The fool has said in his heart there is no God." At first, I thought it was a rather ironic holiday. Then I realized it was actually a comic bumper sticker poking fun at athiests in the same way many athiests or non-Christians put Darwin fish on their cars.

Why do we choose to be so mean. While there is a certain degree of humor in a statement like these bumper stickers depict, it is a bit mean at the same time. Do we really need to put statements like this on our cars. I googled the statement on the bumper sticker, and I found that the bumper sticker was sold at Christian book stores. While I admire the creativity of putting the scripture and the date of the year together in a humorous way, I was saddened at the same time. I just thought that it seemed like we might be "returning evil for evil" when we mock and ridicule others. And when the sticker is sold in a Christian establishment, and someone is making a profit from it, it seems even more outrageous.

I wonder how many areas of our individual and communal lives we are allowing another standard to rule in our lives?

No comments: