Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Review: Bakeless Sweets by Faith Durand




So this is a first for me in many ways. This is the first time I have ever written a review of a cookbook, and furthermore, it's my first review of a dessert book. It is also my first review of a book by Faith Durand, executive editor of The Kitchn.

Faith has been a long time friend, and I was incredibly thankful that I purchased her first cookbook, Not Your Mother's Casseroles (I actually need to write a review of that one too). And when I found out she had written a book on desserts, I had to learn more.

Jamie and I strive not to eat a ton of sweets, and we don't like to encourage others to eat sweets either, but Faith's book is incredible, and if one can be disciplined enough to not make dessert into a meal, then this book is worth pursuing.

Since it is my first time writing a review of a cookbook, I should be fair and explain my rationale for the evaluation. I did not read through the instructions for every recipe. Instead, I looked at the variety of recipes, ingredients, and flavors available. And then I skimmed descriptors for this array of delicious treats. After this, I looked at how the author's personality and passion came through on the pages. I was impressed on all counts.

But then, the last screening was preparing a dessert for a gathering of a few friends. For that, I left it completely in the hands of my wife to choose a dessert, and to prepare it. After screening several, she landed on a dessert that reflected one of her great passions--ice cream--Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream, Bangkok Peanut Ice Cream to be exact. Jamie tested Faith's original recipe for no-bake Spicy Peanut And Toasted Coconut Cookies. Wow! The dessert was a delicious spicy, savory, and sweet treat. They were a hit at the gathering we attended, and I was thankfully able to snag a couple of these delicious treats.

If you are looking for a good book full of delicious bakeless treats, look no further than Bakeless Sweets. The book is colorful, well organized, filled with tons of original and classic treats, and a great way to prepare treats, especially when you don't want to heat up a house in the summer by baking in the oven. This is a fun book filled with quick-to-prepare recipes for the enjoyment of all.


No comments: