Friday, March 25, 2011

The Big Idea Has Become Reality: Traveling to Kuria, Kenya to See Nuru International's Project First Hand



So for the last four years, I've been involved with my friends Jake, John, Andy, Trey, and many others as we launched a social venture called Nuru International. Among the many posts you have seen on my blog, I have been writing for a long time about this idea that has become reality. In September 2008, Nuru sent it's first team to Kuria, Kenya, and over the last 2.5 years, over 10,000 people have had their lives changed by Nuru's work--for good!

Over the next few days, I will be traveling to Kuria, Kenya to see first-hand the impact that Nuru has had in it's efforts to empower families out of extreme poverty. I will listen to the stories of some amazing individuals who have been able to survive on less than $1.25 per day and who are now lifting themselves out of this condition for good.

I'm not sure what my internet access will be like over the next several days, but I look forward to sharing with you some the amazing stories of the people I meet. Many of you have been involved with Nuru for quite some time too. Whether it's through reading this blog, sharing videos with friends, volunteering, or even making financial contributions to our work to end extreme poverty.  Their stories are our stories as we, you and I, work together toward ending extreme poverty, one community at a time.

I'm grateful to all who have joined on this journey, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to capture some of these stories first-hand. I know my soul will be stirred deeply by this brief glimpse into the daily experiences of some of our brothers and sisters from around the globe. May we never grow weary in doing good in this world while we have the time and the resources.

Be hope. Be light. Be Nuru.

No comments: