Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Too Much Lost?



So I was driving toward Easton Hill this morning and I saw black smoke rising on West Run Road. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera, although I tried to take a couple of photos with my cell phone--they didn't turn out so well.

When I saw the smoke, I realized how much the tv series LOST had gotten into my brain. My first thought wasn't, "I wonder what is burning?" or "Where exactly is that coming from?" Instead I started thinking about Keamy, Ben Linus, and the black smoke monster. If you haven't seen the show before, this probably seems like a strange blog entry. If you have seen the show, you know exactly what I'm talking about. And if you were in Morgantown this morning, you probably had some similar thoughts.

I wondered who the black smoke was chasing. I thought about all of the instances where the smoke came up in the show, and started theorizing. What kind of security system is the black smoke. Why does it seem to project different images to different people? How does it connect to every individuals past? What exactly is the smoke, and how does it work? I found myself curious about how John Locke had responded to it, and started thinking about which characters have been exposed to it, and what their response has been.

It's wild how certain sites and sounds will trigger our thoughts. We'll experience something, and it will spark our minds out of autopilot for a bit and bring us some new insight sometimes. Unfortunately today, I have no new insights on LOST, and I wouldn't want to theorize too much and give away some clue for anyone who is a couple of weeks behind.

What is triggering your thoughts today?

1 comment:

aheckalotabecca said...

haha, ok I do think you are thinking WAY too much about LOST, but hey, I probably would have done the same thing had I seen the smoke...like when it was on Scrubs last week... no judgement here! :)