Friday, June 12, 2015

Getting Back In The Groove...One Step At A Time: Dedicated To My Friend Thomas Hong


In spite of having several posts written and an array of experience I'd love to share on my blog, I have been inconsistent at best. But, my hope is to change all of that...starting today. I figure the easiest way to get back in the groove is to start writing again, even if it is just this one small post.

There really is so much to write about and share--from my own faith journey, reviews of books I've been reading and the amazing adventures I have the privilege of sharing with Jamie. Sometimes it's hard to know where to start. But, that doesn't change the fact that I need to start somewhere.

I'd like to dedicate this post to my good friend Thomas Hong. Thomas is an amazing dude, and he has been working with me at Nuru from almost the beginning. He also just wrote this awesome op-ed piece for Devex. He's a genius, and has been leading the charge as Nuru develops its unique leadership development program to equip local leaders to research, design, implement, manage, and scale interventions to address extreme poverty in their communities. Thomas is a quiet and thoughtful guy, and he's dedicated his time and talents to serving others and living out his faith in a tangible and meaningful way.

A few years ago, Thomas had a traumatic experience that left him hospitalized and unable to walk. There were questions as to whether he would ever be able to walk again. There were questions about whether he would ever be able to travel back to Kenya where he served on the ground, or if he would ever see Ethiopia, the second country where Nuru is working. But Thomas worked hard, and rehabilitated well, and he is walking, and has been back to both Kenya and Ethiopia to connect with his teams on the ground. He could have been dead or permanently unable to walk, but miraculously and with a helping of hard work. He is walking.

Back in January, Thomas and I were talking about goals. We talked about the Marine Corps Marathon. We talked about my blog. We talked about fitness. And then we talked about the possibility that one day Thomas might be able not only to walk, but also to run. How amazing would that be! Over the course of this year we check in with each other every month or so. He subscribes to my blog. I ask him how his continued physical therapy is going. His response is always said with a wink, "About as consistent as your blog."

I consider myself to be pretty goal oriented, but for some reason I've had a hard time getting going with my blog this year. I really do want to start sharing and posting more. And Thomas has really encouraged me toward that goal. I also would love to see Thomas run a 5K one day (or maybe a Marine Corps Marathon in the future), but I know that goal won't happen without a disciplined focus on exercise and rehabilitation.

So today, I endeavor to start writing again with more frequency. And, I hope, my greater discipline will encourage my friend to pursue his goal of being able to run again!


No comments: