Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Review and Reflection: Unbroken



As I mentioned in my last post, Jamie and I have a tradition of going to the movie theater in the winter time, and we look for movies specifically that move us, that stir us, that cause us to think deeply about this world we live in, our purpose in it, and how we can help it be better. We watch movies that help us reflect, to set our intentions, and to become a better version of ourselves as well.

And this past winter, we discovered the story of WWII Veteran Louis Zamperini. Zamperini was an Olympic athlete, a Japanese WWII prison camp survivor, and a deeply committed Christian. And this winter, Angelina Jolie told a portion of his story in the movie Unbroken. Unbroken is also a book, and I am sure it is a great one, but I have not read it yet.

Jamie and I had done some reading about Louis Zamperini before watching the movie. His life was amazing, and the movie only carried the viewer through a small portion of it. Zamperini, after the events of the movie, became a deeply committed Christian, and worked to be reconciled and to forgive his captors after his faith was re-ignited at a Billy Graham crusade in 1949.


As I watched the movie with Jamie, there were several points I found myself in tears. There's something about taking in a story of a person who perseveres, who overcomes, and who refuses to give up that ignites a spark deep inside.  Our world needs good stories like Louie Zamperini's. Our world needs you and I to also begin living a better story.

Would I recommend this movie to you? Absolutely! But, I must warn you. The pain that this man went through, and that was portrayed on the screen is pretty overwhelming. But maybe, in getting a glimpse of this man's story, you will find yourself more ready to engage in the trials that emerge in your own life, maybe you'll find yourself pushing your limits and refusing to quit, maybe you will find yourself more able to be reconciled to others. I sure hope so. The world will be better if more of us dig in our heels and refuse to give up when the going gets tough.

May we all grow in our resolve to do the right thing and to never quit!

No comments: