Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Visiting the Nuru International Regional Training Center

Regional Training Center from Nuru International on Vimeo.


Monday morning I was able to visit the site of the Nuru International regional training center with our team here, and I have to say that I have been utterly blown away by the vision and the scope of what the Kenyan Nuru staff are not only looking to do in the future, but what they are doing now. Two and a half years ago, Nuru was an idea, a REALLY good idea, but an idea nonetheless. Now, to see what it has become is utterly amazing.

As my friend Jake talked to us a little bit about the center, I just kept smiling from ear to ear. I was nearly to the point of tears from the joy I was experiencing. The center is the headquarters for all of the Kenyan Nuru Staff (and the number of Kenyan Nuru staff significantly dwarfs the western staff.)

So, where to start. I could start with the crazy amount of construction that has already happened. Thereof a bank being built, a education resource center that is being built, a center for educating children and preserving the Kurian cultural heritage. There is a large meeting hall for regional training conference for Nuru Kenya staff across the district and province as Nuru expands. And there is a kitchen under construction as well as classrooms and two floors of sleeping rooms for guests. There's also a healthcare commodities selling station under construction.

I am amazed at what this training center is already becoming. I met dozens of Nuru Kenyan staff who are working in our five program areas. These people are passionate about bringing excellence into every facet of the work they are doing to empower their entire community out of extreme poverty. I'm honored to see it, and privileged to be able to share many of their stories with others. Together, we are ending extreme poverty, one community at a time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

billy, thank you beyond words for all these updates !!!!!!!! we almost feel like we're there with you and jake. thank you thank you thank YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love, dad and mom

Kyle Ledyard said...

Hello, I came across your blog while searching for things about the kuria people in Tanzania/Kenya. I recently returned to the US from a year long stay near Tarime Tanzania. (Kuria area) Would love to chat about what your perspectives where when you visited. Email: ledyard.k@gmail.com Blog kyleatcoh.blogspot.com

Blessings