Monday, September 17, 2007

Broken-Man



Broken-Man, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
My best friend on the planet, Wilie, took this photo of me in June about a week after my mom's funeral. That's when he first shared the song he wrote in honor of my mom as well. If you haven't heard it/watched the video, I hope you are blessed by it as you watch.

I thought I would try to dedicate at least one blog each week to the messages we are giving at h2o, the campus faith community of our local church. We have been exploring a myriad of broken relationships that have occured as a result of the fall. You can actually listen to the podcast of the message on "H2O Morgantown Live" if you have itunes installed on your computer. Otherwise, you can just click this link and check out the most recent podcast on this site.

This week, we talked about the brokenness of humanity that has happened as a result of the Fall. You see, before the fall, human beings had an understanding that they were made in the image of God, and it is in Him, from Him, by Him, and through Him that we are meant to have our identity.

It's kind of like as a result of the Fall, we have been separated from who we really are. So because we are unsure of who we are, we walk through this brokenness clutching onto anything and everything to give us a sense of identity. It's like men and women all over are grabbing hold of area's of life not so much for a pure enjoyment, but to meet this longing to know ourselves and feel secure.

And so we go out into the world in which we live wrestling through our brokenness and trying to really discover our identity and purpose.

Often, we find our identity in the clothes we wear, the music we listen to, the people we hang out with, how much alcohol we can consume, how many places we've visited, and even where we work or how hard we work.

We weren't meant to find our identity in these ways. In the end our identity comes from knowing that we were made for an intimate relationship with our Creator, and that as we honor Him with our lives, we discover healing for the brokenness that exists within each of us.

2 comments:

The Awesome Tom said...

I've actually read it a couple of times now. It's a pretty good book, and I greatly enjoyed it.

Alise said...

Sometimes I think this is a never-ending challenge (finding where our true identity lies).

In the past year, I had something that I thought was just totally about serving God ripped away from me, and realized that I had a portion of my identity really wrapped up in that service than in the One I was serving. It certainly takes a measure of vigilance to see that our eyes remain on the Author & Perfecter of our faith rather than on the wonders He has created all around us.