Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Perseid Shower



Well, even in Morgantown, it proves a bit difficult to watch this meteor shower, but I'm hoping to make it out to a place that it might be a bit more visible.

Just hearing about it has gotten me thinking. My ancestors used to set up mounds and earthworks that were oriented to the night sky and the cycles of the sun and moon. Pretty crazy how much we are disconnected from the rhythm's of this world. I mean, when was the last time you were just looking in awe at the night sky? How many of us live in a place where the night sky is even visible.

I wonder what our lives would look like if we were somehow able to go back in time a bit. What would it be like without iphones and laptops (like the one I'm using to type this blog)? What if the only music we heard was live, and we didn't have to pay exorbitant amounts of money to hear it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not becoming a Luddite--I really enjoy the technology we have at our disposal. At the same time, I am very aware that a laptop is no replacement for a night in the woods next to a campfire, or conversation with friends while gazing into the night sky.

I hope you can find a place to view the meteor shower, and that you can view it with friends at that.

May we never lose the wonder that our ancestors had with the majesty and marvel of creation.

No comments: