Friday, May 29, 2009

The Life You Can Save

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Peter Singer
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorKeyboard Cat


Earlier today I was on Amazon looking at books, when I saw a book with the title "The Life You Can Save". It was a book about poverty, and the opportunity we in the West have to do something about it. There was a video on the page, but unfortunately, Amazon doesn't provide embedding codes on their website. Here's a link to the video though. I thought the video was pretty poignant, and I was initially gonna write about it, but couldn't figure out a way to embed it on my blog.

I did find this hilarious interview on the Colbert Report. While I don't regularly watch the Colbert Report, nor have I read Singer's book, among the few times I've seen interviews on Colbert's show, I've seen a sharp wit and at the same time an ability to engage intellectually. While I imagine Colbert does give to a number of causes in reality, his humor here illustrate some of the problems and arguments many folks really do conceive for not helping those who are less fortunate.

As you watch, take some time to ask yourself what you might be able to do to help solve the myriad problems of consumerism, poverty, suffering, the environment, and others that are tied directly to how and where we spend the money we have at our disposal.

No comments: