Friday, April 24, 2009

New River Narrows



Yesterday, I traveled a short patch of US Route 460 that I've traveled on a couple of other occasions. Each time I've traveled, the weather has been poor, and I've been in a hurry to get to my destination. At the same time, each time I drove this short stretch, I've felt a desire to stop and take a picture. I've felt like I should come back one day.

And so yesterday afternoon was my day. While traveling past the town of Narrows, I stopped near a boat launch and snapped this photo. I even took a moment, at the suggestion of one of my friends, to dip my feet in the water (this is a habit I have in a few different locations--year round.)

Between the sun, and the view from the valley, this little moment of respite in an otherwise consuming week was incredibly enjoyable.

Have you ever felt drawn to a place like that? I mean, the first time I went through this area it was night time and it was four years ago, but in my mind, I just wanted to drive this stretch of road along the New River again.

There's something about driving along the bank of a river that just does something to me. I remember having this soothing tranquil feeling as I made my way along the Allegheny River with my parents later in the fall of 2005.

I'm so thankful for the soothing power of water. I can't describe it, but when I go to the riverside, I feel a sense of tranquility and ease that I can't fully describe.

Yesterday, as I stood along this river bank, I thought, "How cool would it have been to have grown up here along this river?" And then I started thinking about how easy it is to feel like the grass is greener on the other side, and to be constantly filled with a longing for something more, something different, or something else.

Honestly, my life and my times have been pretty amazing. The creator of the universe has woven a wonderful set of experiences for me, and I hope I never take for granted the places He has allowed me to go, the work He has allowed me to do, and the people with whom He has filled my life.

My cup runneth over, and I am grateful.

1 comment:

Meghan Baird said...

The water looks COLD! But yeah, I know what you mean. Oh how I so miss Harper's Ferry and my beautiful Potomac and Shanandoah Convergence.