Tuesday, December 09, 2008

La Belle Rivière



La Belle Rivière, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
This is one of my favorite places. It's the Ohio River. The french called it "the beautiful river" and it truly is beautiful. It actually starts in New York and goes by the name Allegheny River up there. One time I drove along many miles of the Allegheny with my mom and dad. Many times we have driven along the Ohio. Every mile of it is beautiful.

Technically, the Ohio starts where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers join at Pittsburgh and then it continues south and west to the Mississippi. This river defined rivers for me as a young boy. I can remember many fishing trips, many bike rides, many car rides, and many memories in general along the banks and in the waters of this river.

The banks along the river have changed a lot over the years. There's a little bar and grill that pollutes my night time view from the confluence of the Ohio and Little Kanawha Rivers now. There's also lots of new houses and businesses that keep springing up along different portions of the river.

The whole world seems to be in a state of flux. Things are changing constantly in our world, but the river itself, it never seems to change. I think maybe that's why this river has always been really important to my family and my tribe. The river offers serenity and stability.

Even as you read this, think about your life. Think about the changes you have witnessed and experienced. Consider how your life has been shaped over time and the beauty and agony of it all.

And then remember the river. Remember the water. Remember that there are somethings that give us stability in our life.

No wonder Jesus talked about rivers of living water that flow from within for those who know him.

I hope you can freshly experience that truth in your life today.

No comments: