Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Life With God



Sunlight, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Recently I started reading a book called Life With God. It seems like a fairly simple and unassuming title. In it, the author puts forth an interesting statement about the Bible.

He says that the Bible is the story of how everyday people like you and I can enjoy life with God. As we read through the scriptures there is an overwhelming and emphatic statement that begins to leap off the pages. "I am with you!" "I am with you!" "I am with you!" It's like a loud whisper that calls out from the pages. All through scripture, God says this to a variety of people. He says it to Abraham, to David, to Enoch, to Nehemiah, to Adam, and to Jesus. He also says it to you and I. "I am with you!" Can you hear the whisper?

I don't know what you are going through today, but whatever it is, there's a certain degree of comfort in the thought that the God of all creation is with you.

That same God also asks a question of us though. It's a question that searches the depths of the human heart. "Will you be with Me?" Saying yes to this invitation thrusts us into that life with God. God, in his deep and abiding love, calls out to us. He longs for us to be with Him.

He is with us in the terror and joy and peace and frustration and anxiety and insecurity and wonder that is our life. Are we willing to be with Him? Will we respond?

Every moment we have an opportunity to choose to be with Him. He longs for our response.

It blows my mind the great love that has been shown to us. It blows my mind that so often I can find myself missing that whisper while straining to hear every other voice on the planet.

I don't know if you can relate to that. Whether you can or not, it's my prayer that today you will be able to drown out the distractions, and you will be able to respond to the One voice that beckons softly.

No comments: