Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Blind Baby Bunny



Blind Baby Bunny, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Last week, I spotted this little guy in my yard. I also spotted two of his relatives. They were wandering blindly into my wide open yard. I believe they came out of my garden. Needless to say, seeing something like this reminds us of the fragility of all of life, and our need to care for those who are unable to care for themselves.

This little bunny didn't have his sight yet. And he was in a very large open space with lots of birds and other predators. He couldn't even make a sound. Picking him up, I had to be careful because even his little spine was incredibly fragile. If I wasn't careful, he could jump out of my hand and break his spine.

Life is precious. Unless we come in direct contact with a fragile life, we can become inured to the fragility of living things. Sometimes, we can become so accustomed to being surrounded by life that we fail to respond to the lives that we come in contact with as sacred.

Don't be blind to the fragility of life that has been entrusted to your care. The lives of those who are around you are a part of a sacred trust.

And be on the lookout for blind baby bunnies running through your yard . . .

No comments: