Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Me and the Kerr's Marching Through the Crowd


Yeah, i know. this is going back a bit, but this is a photo of me and the Kerr clan making our way through the crowd at the powwow. That's my hair in the foreground. ;)

So I decided against staying in a tent for now. Maybe it was the heavy rains over the weekend, or perhaps it's just the thought of dealing with the sand. I don't want to wake up in a windstorm or a tropical depression while staying in a tent. But maybe I'll try it later this week--time will tell.

Right now I am staying with 22 of the students who are involved in GCM's Leadership Training program. They have renamed their beach house The Soul Den, and it has been a pretty cool experience so far. Most of us don't do well with living in community like that, but there's something profound in the formation of our character that we are missing out on by not experiencing community in this way.

In my opinion, this is one of the best parts of the program. For me, it's also been cool sharing with the students and hearing what God has been doing in their lives this summer.

You know, as I was looking at the photo of my best friend and his family, I couldn't help but think--most of us spend our time navigating the crowd. We just kind of weave our way through. Maybe our real need is to stop weaving and navigating, and engage the crowd. We need to stop being passersby and get connected. With my frequent travel this summer, it has been challenging but possible to get connected with folks wherever I have been.

The sad truth is that many of us spend our entire lives in one place, and never venture to connect to the community around us. Take a step out today and make a connection with someone. Maybe it will simply be a gesture of hospitality toward someone else, or maybe, God will be doing something in you through the process.

No comments: