Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Winter Time Tree



Winter Time Tree, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Last week I was able to snap this photo of one of the trees behind my house. I think we received about 6 inches of snow Wednesday and of course you have already read about how that precipitated my experiment with the bus system here in Morgantown.

It's almost a week after that snow, and now it looks like the snow was never here. We've had rain, rain, and more rain (which could have been snow if it were colder), and so it has started the migration to stay inside and out of the weather.

It seems like winter settles in, and one hardly sees the sun here in Morgantown. Although, when I took that photo, it was blue skies and white snow. I love the way the snow looks lying on the top side of all of the branches. I like it when there aren't tracks or anything and it looks like a clean blanket over the earth. But in order to really enjoy it, one must walk in and through it.

I think it is easy as the winter weather approaches to find a million reasons to stay inside. It's too wet! It's too cold! There's no place to go! Nobody will go with me.

I think it's times like this that we've gotta fight the urge to stay inside, and get out and enter the adventure.

I remember a few years ago, I made a commitment to walk/run 1000 miles in a year. I remember one day I had planned to go to coopers rock to hike. It was cold, and I got out of work late--there really wasn't much point in going. But I grabbed my parka and hopped in my car and drove.

I was the only person in the whole park. I walked back through to raven rock. I ended up walking back in the dark, but the entire time was amazing. I heard snow and ice fall like crystal all over the trail and the wilderness. It was truly amazing and beautiful. Some of my most brilliant times with the Creator, and some of my most amazing experiences in life have come in the woods in the winter.

So as winter creeps in, what are you going to do to overcome the inertia that leads you to stay indoors? Get out into wilderness, and get into the mix. Or at least get out of the house for a bit. I would hate for you to miss out on the beauty that may just be right outside your door . . .

1 comment:

Alise said...

I am an admitted home-body. I love doing things that let me stay in my nice, comfy house. But when we had the snow, even I couldn't help but don my boots, throw on some thermal undergarments and hit the hills with my kids! We had an absolute blast sledding down the hill in our backyard, throwing snowballs at each other and building a (very small) snowman. Definitely reminded me that rest can be found even in running around outside in the snow!