Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Soup's On



Soup's On, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
Well, most of my blogs in recent days have been a little more serious in tone. Amid the grieving and brokenness in our world we have little rays of sunshine that offer some respite.

For me, a little ray of sunshine happened to me last Thursday afternoon in DC. As I was walking around the city, I saw a sign for a farmer's market in downtown DC. I was a little shocked and amazed to see a farmer's market right in the middle of one of the busiest cities in the world. Downtown DC isn't known for small grocers--it's known for being a world center for politics. It's also a space filled with huge government buildings and museums. So when a saw a sign saying that today was the day for the farmer's market, I had to check it out.

While the farmers market was cool, it made me really proud of the quality Morgantown farmer's market--if you live in Morgantown, you definitely should consider buying some of your groceries here. And wherever you are, you should consider supporting your local farmer's market. Here's a site that lists some reasons why you should buy locally grown food. Check it out!

So my original intent wasn't to tell you why you should buy locally, but to share a little ray of sunshine in the nation's capital. Of course, farmer's markets can be little rays of sunshine. But read the bottom of the Quail Creek Farms sign in the photo.

"WVU Rules!" Now that's definitely a ray of sunshine for a forlorn traveler from the West Virginia Hills wandering around the nation's capital.

No comments: