Thursday, August 16, 2007

Greenery



Greenery, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
This year has seen more and more press given to "greening" our lives. From hybrid vehicles to Compact Fluorescent light bulbs, to buying locally grown foods (or growing your own), people are seriously considering lowering their ecological footprint. Your ecological footprint is a measure of how much resources you use by doing your weekly routine. Today, I just thought I would attempt to find out what my footprint is, and I found out that if everyone lived the same way I do, we would need 3.4 earths to sustain us. That's pretty dismal news, being that we only have one earth. (By the way, I would love it if you took the quiz and posted your results!!!)

Earlier today, I was listening to a podcast featuring Eugene Peterson, the guy who wrote The Message a version of the Bible in contemporary language (He has also written many other wonderful books). This in turn led me to a website with a further interview which led me to a Washington Post Article about Christians and the environment.

In the article, it mentions one of my favorite preachers, Dr. Joel Hunter of Northland Community Church. During four straight summers, I attended Dr. Hunter's church while in Orlando, FL. He is a thoughtful, articulate, and an exemplary storyteller. He also has been doing much to encourage Christians to engage in being socially active in their communities as a reflection of their faith in Jesus.

Anyways, the article really provoked me to think more deeply about how I can better love God and love others through my stewardship of the environment. Lot's of folks want to debate issues like global warming, or they want to complain about escalating gas prices, or the prevalence of environmentally related illnesses in our world today. But, how many of us really want to take time and effort to wrestle with how this (among many issues) can be simplified down to how effectively are we loving God and loving others?

I implore you to take some time today and think about some small changes you might be able to make to better care for God's earth. Things like walking instead of driving (short distances), riding a bike (weather permitting), or recycling go a long way, and they actually are good for you too (you just feel like you've made a difference when you recycle, and you see your number of bags of garbage drastically diminish). And when you decide what you are going to do (or are currently doing), post a comment. And don't forget to tell me your footprint.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

4.2
I'm ashamed.
Pam

Unknown said...

Don't be too discouraged, Pam. As a culture, largely we aren't taught to think about things like that, and within the context of the faith, there is probably even greater lack of concern.

The cool thing is, now that you know, you can start to make some changes. Maybe using some of the questions on the test as a launching point. Buy local food. Cut down energy consumption. Walk or ride a bike when possible. I'm excited for ya!

Kara Beth said...

4.8 earths. Ouch. I need to break out the bike.

The Royal Garcias said...

4.6 What the heck!? I shop at our farmers' market, take the train and walk everywhere. I think living in Chicago was my hanging chad. Billy, so good to see your blog through Cameron's! I'm guessing you've already read a book called "Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne? Excellent commentary on Christianity and social responsibility. I hope all is well.
Cayla