Friday, May 18, 2007

Preparing for the Relay



Preparing for the Relay, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
This morning's Parkersburg News had me, my dad, and my awesome friend Dan Van Valey on the front page. We didn't do anything special. We were just setting up a canopy in Parkersburg's "City Park" to mark our team's space for the Relay for Life.

A guy by the name of Jeff Baughan took our picture, and shared with us his experience with cancer. His wife is a cancer survivor, and he and his family have been intimately involved with the relay in Wood County ever since.

When I registered the team, I gave it the name "H2O for Your Soul" because I thought it would feature a number of folks from our college ministry at WVU. Many members of our community in Morgantown are unable to attend this weekend, but several people are coming out in a show of support for my mom. So as Mr. Baughan asked us about our team, we changed the name of the team on the spot to "Pat's Inspirations" because we are all hoping to inspire my mom, Pat, to fight hard and stay positive and prayerful as she fights this disease.

This week has been a very emotional week. I stood next to my close friend Frank Lambert and served as a pallbearer during his father's funeral. I drove from this funeral in Elkins to Parkersburg to sit by my mom's side while she was on a ventilator.

Yesterday she was taken off the ventilator, and her condition is stable. She's a little weak, but she has also lost over 30lbs of fluid ( which is a good thing) in the last three days. We are thrilled and thanking God for her recovery from this "bump in the road" (her words) in her battle against breast cancer.

If you are able to make it down to Parkersburg, today or tomorrow, we would love to have you be part of our relay team. Lot's of family and friends are coming around to walk, talk, reminisce, pray, and celebrate the eventual end of this dreadful malady. Feel free to call or email me if you need directions. Also, please consider joining our team or making a donation to contribute to cancer research and help people like my mom get better and safer treatments.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'll be praying for your mom- she sure seems like a fighter!

Congrats on your graduation! ")