Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Snake



Snake, originally uploaded by chanchanchepon.
I went for a hike yesterday after bouldering with my new friend Jeremiah. As we were leaving a trail near Morgantown at Cooper's Rock, I came upon this little guy. He is probably 2-3 feet long, and I jumped over him as I was leaving one of my favorite trails.

What is with the snakes lately? I stepped on a garter snake on my way to class last fall. I also ran into a cane break rattlesnake with my dad last fall. (beautiful snake, by the way)

This snake--I have no idea what it is. My first thought was a copperhead, but after studying some photo's of copperheads, it doesn't seem very likely. I am thinking that it is a northern brown snake, but I am not sure. If you have any ideas, feel free to post 'em.

In the meantime, if you are in the woods, don't be dumb like me and walk around in sandals--boots are a safe bet. And keep your eyes peeled for snakes--they are definitely out there!

No comments: