Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Review: The Seven Minute Workout App



A few weeks ago I shared a review as well as my experience with TRX and the TRX Force SuperApp. There’s one other fitness app I would like to review, and for the discovery of this one, I need to give credit to my old roommate, Jimmy Shreeves. He pointed this one out to me, and so I determined I would check it out.

When you search for the app in the app store. There are a number of apps available all advertising a similar seven-minute workout that consists of 12 exercises that focus on functional strength across different muscle groups. The specific app I am reviewing is one that costs $2.99 in the app store.  While many of the apps are free, I chose the paid one (contrary to my normal modus operandi) because the folks who had developed the workout also included access to their academic paper written for publication in a peer reviewed general. In other words, they had done some pretty legit background research and testing on the validity of their workout regimen. They found that doing this series of twelve exercises across a seven minute period of high intensity demonstrated fitness benefits to an hour of a normal pace workout

Honestly I love the app. Here’s why.
  1.           It’s seven minutes. That means that if you don’t feel like you have time to workout, you should be able to squeeze seven minutes in somewhere during your day. Stay up seven minutes later or get up seven minutes earlier if notYou can do these exercises without any fancy equipment. No need to join a gym or anything like that. Crank them out in your office, in your living room, or in the middle of the woods. Seriously.
  2.            Incentives for consistency. While this app offers in-app purchases for three other variations of the workout, it also allows you to ‘unlock’ these other workouts if you can be disciplined enough to work out for 7 minutes a day for two weeks, one month, and two months.
  3.            Subtitute for cardio. Last winter, we had some wicked cold weather and I was not that enthusiastic about going for a run. Instead, I just changed the interval or number of cycles to increase the duration of my workout.


Separately, I love using the workout as a warm-up or cool-down after a run, a ride, or a TRX workout.

My only critique of the app is that there is not a social funcition. What I mean is, you can’t nudge friends or motivate them from within the app. My best friend in the whole world downloaded the app, but we can’t keep track and motivate each other from within the app. This would be a great addition in my opinion.


That being said, if you are looking for a quick and convenient workout—check out the seven minute workout app. Keep pushing forward!

1 comment:

Gegant said...

Appreciate yyour blog post