Sunday, January 01, 2017

Happy New Year 2017!


Welcome to 2017! You made it! It is a new year! I'm not one for wishing away the past or anything like that--I think every day and every year has some pretty amazing stuff, and some really difficult times--that's just a part of life in this world.

Now's not the time for lamenting about how much the past year stunk or how awesome it was though. Now's the time for embracing the moment and moving forward--resolving to be a better version of yourself. 

Some people debate about their resolutions or their disbelief in resolutions, but personally, I've always felt like New Year's Day gives us an opportunity for new beginnings and fresh starts. If you use a planner, this is a point during which most of the pages are blank. There is a world of possibility out there. Truth be told, there's always a world of possibility out there, but sometimes having that mindset allows us to procrastinate our lives away, waiting for the perfect time to plan and "get organized" or start a diet or workout regimen. In fact, did you know what the number one day is for launching new diets and workouts and similar activities? If you said New Year's Day, you would be wrong. The number one day for starting to pursue a new goal is tomorrow...

Let that sink in for a minute. It is soooooo easy to wait for tomorrow to start doing the things you want to do. Tomorrow always seems like it will be a better day than today.

"I'll wake up early tomorrow, my bed is too comfortable right now." 

"I'll start exercising tomorrow; I'm feeling kind of tired today." 

"I'll eat better tomorrow; I'd hate for that dessert to go to waste." 

"I'll write that blog post tomorrow, I'm just too busy right now."

"I'll set goals tomorrow, I've gotta watch some tv."

And so we let tomorrow tempt us to squander today's opportunity. 

Don't do it! 

Soon, the sun will set on the first day of the year. Resolution or no resolution, what are the goals you want to start moving toward in 2017? What's one of them? Make a conscious decision right now, that you will at least take a step toward one of your goals before you let your head hit that pillow tonight.

Maybe you haven't really given it a lot of thought. What do you want to set for a goal in 2017? Maybe that's your starting point. Before going to sleep, take a few minutes (not more than 5), and dream about what you want to really want accomplish this week, month, and year. Write it down. Put it on your mirror, and start moving toward it. 

I'll be doing the same. I've got some goals that are always there, top of mind--those are the one's I'm starting to take action toward today. But then, I've found there are always goals and hopes that are hanging out just below the surface that percolate when I make a little time to mentally focus on them.

May today be a new beginning for focus, for hope, and for moving toward some incredible goals that will allow you to bring your absolute best into each day--not only for your own benefit, but for the benefit of others.


No comments: