Tuesday, April 01, 2008

One Life



A friend of mine is trying to coordinate an event on the campus of WVU in partnership with the ministry of World Vision, a Christian organization that does a lot of work in poverty relief in the world. My friend, Matt Crum, just sent me the link to this video that he wanted to share with our community at h2o. His goal is to mobilize people to do something about the AIDS epidemic that has been destroying Africa. Personally, I think it's a great goal, and I hope we can help him in his efforts here in Morgantown.

While you might not be able to join in this work here in Morgantown, I couldn't help but think that this video could be a good reminder of the very privileged life everyone who reads this blog lives. I just spent over seventy dollars on food at the grocery store. Unless I am intentionally fasting, or simply forget to eat (which happens more often than I like to admit), I never have to worry about where my next meal comes from. Clean drinking water, is just a twist of the faucet away.

And yet, there are over a billion people for whom that is not the norm. While there is a limited amount any one person can do about problems like these, any one person can do something. It is my hope that over the course of this year we would all make some change to make this world a better place for those who have absolutely nothing.

We each have one life to live--what will you do with yours?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I preached for 45 minutes on this topic only to have someone come up to me afterwards to say "There is really nothing we can do." When will Christians step up? We should be leading the charge. Our churches should be ground zero.
I love you for getting that Billy.